A slice of sunshine, our Orange & Coconut Loaf Cake is perfect for sharing over a pot of tea. Delicious zesty flavour enhanced with our Orange Citrus Zest olive oil. This cake can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and also freezes well. This recipe is also lovingly vegan. Enjoy!
Recipe developed by Ros Vodusek & Mel, Thrive Wholesome Nutrition.
- 2 Large red apples, finely grated
- 12 Medjool Dates, seeds removed and roughly chopped
- 1 Tsp Bicarb Soda
- ½ Cup Boiling Water
- ½ Cup Rich Glen Franotio Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Rich Glen Orange Ctirus Zest Olive Oil
- ½ Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- ½ Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Cup Coconut Yoghurt
- 2 ½ Cups Plain Flour
- ½ Orange, Juice & Zest
- 2 Tbsp Rich Glen Orange Ctirus Zest Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
- ½ Cup Almond Milk (You can use any plant-based Milk)
- ¾ Cup Shredded Coconut
- 1 Tbsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ Orange Juiced
- Preheat Oven to 180°C degrees celsius.
- Using Rich Glen Spray Olive Oil, spray and line a long loaf tin and set aside.
- Add the grated apple, chopped dates, and bicarb soda to a bowl. Pour over the boiling water, then set aside for 10 minutes.
- To a large mixing bowl add the oils, maple syrup, vanilla, coconut yoghurt, and whisk to combine.
- Slowly fold in the flour until just combined.
- Add in the juice and zest of the orange and fold through until all is combined.
- Pour the mixture into the lined loaf tin and place into the oven for 30 minutes.
- While the cake is cooking, to a saucepan add all the topping ingredients and stir until it starts to simmer. Let simmer for 2 minutes. Then take off the heat.
- When the cake is cooked, pour over the topping mixture, and return the cake to the oven to bake for a further 20 minutes.
- When the cake is cooked, let it rest in the loaf tin for 10 minutes for removal and place it on a wire rack to cool completely.
*Cake can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days and also freezes well.