This fudgy chocolate brownie is not only delicious but also gluten free and high in both dietary fibre and protein.
The secret to the dense, chewy texture comes from using pumpkinseed flour as the base, instead of regular wheat flour.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 60 minutes
Yield: 26 serves
- 300gm dark chocolate
- 200ml Rich Glen Frantoio extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 egg yolks (separated into yolks and whites)
- 240gm pumpkinseed flour
- 250gm sugar (split into 2 bowls of 175gm and 75gm)
- 1 tsp muscat or vanilla essence
- Extra chocolate chunks for baking
- Pre-heat oven to 150
- Melt chocolate in the microwave in 30-second intervals until completely melted. Add extra virgin olive oil to the chocolate bowl and mix until well combined, set aside.
- In a separate large mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, vanilla and 175gm sugar, whisk until creamy. Add chocolate mix to the eggs/sugar and stir until combined. Finally, add flour to the bowl and mix until thick and sticky.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until forming a soft peak, add the remaining 75g of sugar, then fold egg whites gently into the brownie mixture untill well combined.
- Pour batter into a brownie tin (approx 30cm x 15cm) lined with baking paper. Add in some extra chocolate chunks ontop of the brownie and push down with a spoon. (This gives the brownie gooey chocolate chunks throughout each bite...YUM!)
- Bake for 45-60 minutes, or until the middle is completely cooked through, test with a skewer or toothpick.
- Let cool in the tin for 15 minutes and serve with a scoop of creamy vanilla ice cream, or cut up and keep in a container for 4-5 days.