These refined sugar spiced ginger cookies are an easy treat for the holidays. Made with medjool dates and warming spices like ginger, these delicious spiced cookies are soft and chewy on the inside and slightly crunchy on the outside. A perfect spiced cookie experience.
*Please note, these cookies are not a super sweet, decadent cookie, but rather one that is as close to refined sugar free as possible.
Recipe developed by Mel, Thrive Wholesome Nutrition
- 14 Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup Hazelnuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp Chia Seeds
- ¼ cup Almond Flour
- ¼ cup Coconut Flour
- 1 Small Avocado
- 3 tbsp Cacao Powder
- 3 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 tbsp Pure Maple Syrup
- Splash of milk to bind
- 50-75g Dark Chocolate, for dipping (70% was used for this recipe, but you can use Milk Chocolate if you prefer)
- 50g Dark Chocolate, to drizzle (90% was used for this recipe, but you can use a percentage that suits your taste)
- ¾ tbsp Rich Glen Orange Citrus Zest Infused Oil
- A few small pieces of Naked Ginger, cut finely
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Line a tray with baking paper and set it aside.
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until it forms a sticky ball. If the mixture is too sticky to roll, you can add a touch more coconut flour. Similarly, if the mixture is too dry, add a touch more maple syrup or milk. The stickiness of the mixture will also depend on the softness of your dates; if they are quite firm, cover them with boiling water in a bowl and let them sit for 5 minutes.
- Once blended, roll the mixture into balls, flatten them, and place them on the baking tray. The mixture makes about 12 cookies.
- Place the tray in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Once cooked, take the cookies out of the oven and let them cool completely.
- When the cookies are cooled, add the dark chocolate (for dipping) to a bowl along with the Rich Glen Orange Citrus Zest Infused Oil, and melt over a double boiler or in the microwave. Dip the cookies into the chocolate and lay them on a clean-lined baking tray.
- Melt the second batch of dark chocolate (for drizzling) and gently drizzle it over the cookies.
- Sprinkle the naked ginger pieces over the cookies and place the tray in the fridge to set for a few minutes. Enjoy!