A succulent duck is easy to prepare and a sure favourite to serve for all occasions.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours
1. Heat the oven to 180°C.
2. Rub the whole duck with Garlic and the fresh Rosemary. Season the duck well inside and out with Salt Flakes and Cracked Pepper
3. Tuck the duck’s wing tips under its back so the tips don’t burn.
4. Arrange the cut Orange and Onion under the duck pour Verjuice into the roasting pan and place the duck breast side up onto the onion and orange pieces.
5. Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes then decrease the temp to 140°C degrees and bake for another 2 hours.
6. Once cooked place duck onto serving platter and keep warm at 80°C degrees in the oven.
7. Save the juices by pouring into a shallow dish and into the freezer quickly. Keep the roasting dish for the gravy.
8. After 15 minutes remove the duck juices from the freezer and skim off as much fat as possible. Store the fat in the fridge for your roast potatoes next time.
9. Return the juices that were under the fat to the roasting pan.
10. Put the roasting pan over medium heat on your cook-top then add the Shallot and cook, until softened but not browned. Stir in the Chicken Stuck then raise the heat to high and boil until reduced (approx. 10 minutes). Remove from the heat and vigorously whisk in the Butter, 1 Tbs. at a time. Whisk in the Rosemary and Orange Zest, and season to taste with Salt and Cracked Pepper.
11. Carve the duck and serve with the sauce.
12. Serve with your favourite winter veggies.
If you are looking at this recipe on a mobile device in vertical view, please swipe to the left to see the ingredients.
- 1 x Size 18 Whole Duck
Murray River Salt Flakes and Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Fresh Rosemary Sprigs
- 1 Orange, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 Onion, cut into 2 pieces
- 3 Tbs. Shallot, finely chopped
- 375 ml Verjuice/Verjus
- 1/2 cup Chicken Stock
- 4 Tbs. Butter
- 1.tsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp. Finely Grated Orange Zest
- Ground Black Pepper