Chocolate EVOO Mousse
I first came across a version of this reasonably healthy, rich chocolate mousse when I was an apprentice working with a very creative husband and wife team whom had a strong passion and love for ffresh wholesome, beautifully presented food. The mousse has a smooth, soft texture with a super shiny finish. Hope you enjoy!- RosPrep Time: 20 minutes
- 150 gm Dark Chocolate 70% cocoa solids, roughly chopped
- 100 ml Orange Citrus Zest Infused Olive Oil
- 4 Large Eggs, separated, at room temperature
- Pinch plus ¼ teaspoon extra of Murray River Salt Flakes
- 50 gm Caster Sugar
- 6 x ½ Cup Ramekins or
- 8 x Espresso Double Walled Glass Cups
- Melt the Dark Chocolate in the microwave in a large microwave-safe bowl on medium for 2 minutes, stir then heat for another 2 minutes. Leave to cool for 10 minutes. Stir in the Orange Citrus Infused Oil and set aside.
- Whisk the Egg Whites and a pinch of Salt Flakes until you have firm peaks. Set aside.
- In another bowl, large enough to hold everything, whisk the Egg Yolks, Sugar and ¼ teaspoon of Salt Flakes until pale, thick and about doubled in volume.
- Gradually pour the chocolate-oil mixture into the beaten yolks and fold gently to mix completely. Add a third of the beaten egg whites and fold in vigorously to lighten the mixture. Now gently fold in another third of the egg whites and, when that second lot is incorporated, fold in the final third leaving behind any liquid at the bottom of the bowl of whites.
- Spoon the mousse into 6 ramekins or 8 glasses. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and dessert is served… Enjoy!