Meet your new favourite toast! This lunch and snack friendly toastie is the perfect combo of savory and sweet ingredients.
Recipe by Mel, Thrive Wholesome Nutrition.
For the Caramelised Onions
- 2 Small Brown Onions
- ¼ Cup Rich Glen Signature Olive Oil
- ¼ Cup Water
- ½ Tsp Sea Salt
- 1 Tbs Rich Glen Sticky Balsamic
For the Toastie
- Rich Glen Olive Oil Spray
- 4 Slices Sourdough Bread
- 1 Tbsp Wholegrain Mustard
- 2-3 Tbsp Grated Gruyere Cheese
- 2 small sprigs of fresh Thyme
- 2-3 Tbsp Caramelised Onion (from recipe above)
1. Heat a fry pan on medium heat and add in the onions, half of the olive oil and cook until heated through and onions are starting to soften. Then add the remaining Olive Oil, Water, Sticky Balsamic and salt. Turn the heat to low and allow the onions to cook for about an hour – making sure you stir them occasionally, so they don’t catch.
2. Once the onions are golden brown in colour and fragrant, remove from the heat and set aside. The onions can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
3. To make the toastie, turn on a pan to medium heat, and slice the sourdough.
4. Spray one side with olive oil Spray. Turn slice over and place on top of the other slice and add the mustard and Gruyere cheese.
5. Place oil side down in the heated pan and add the top slice.
6. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the cheese has melted and the flip the bread and cook the other side.
7. Once Bread is golden and toasted, remove from the pan, sprinkle with fresh thyme, then slice in half and ENJOY.