Make versatile eggplant the star ingredient of your meals. Eggplants add substance and smokiness to every dish. Here are some fantastic and simple ways to incorporate them into your cooking.
- Use roasted eggplant slices on pizzas, hamburgers and sandwiches. Slice into 1cm-thick slices, rub with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) and roast in a moderate oven for 20–30 minutes.
- Roast eggplant slices as above and then top with tomato and cheese and fresh basil.
- Cut eggplant into 1cm-thick slices. Steam until soft, then dress with 1 tablespoon of organic soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- To make eggplant goulash dip prick eggplant all over with a fork, then bake in a moderate oven until collapsed. Scoop out the flesh and mix with 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup tahini, 1 crushed garlic clove and a sprinkle with Salt Flakes.
- Cut into 1-2cm cubes and fry in a little EVOO until soft and golden, then add to your favourite tomato-based pasta sauce.
- To make an eggplant schnitzel, cut the whole eggplant into 1 cm slices to look like a schnitzel… salt each slice and add some fresh chopped garlic. Leave for 1 hour, squeeze in fresh towel and crumb with flour…egg and breadcrumb mix and shallow fry.
- Try our "Eggplant and Tomato sauce" recipe below.
- 2 kg Eggplant
- 1 cup RG Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO); more as needed
- 2 large cloves Garlic, sliced paper-thin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh Mint
- Pinch Chilli powder
- 800 gm can crushed Aussie Tomatoes
- Trim the ends off the Eggplant, slice crosswise 1 inch thick, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Transfer to a colander set in a bowl, and toss with Salt.
- Weigh down with a heavy object and let sit for about 90 minutes.
- Line a large rimmed baking tray with old tea towels. Spread the eggplant on the towel, roll up & squeeze juice & dry thoroughly.
- Heat the EVOO and Garlic over low heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, and toss to coat with the EVOO. Cook and stir occasionally until the eggplant is a shade darker and has begun to soften about 15 minutes.
- Add the Oregano, Mint and Chilli and toss.
- Pour in the Tomatoes, raise the heat, and bring to a simmer. Cover partially and cook at a gentle simmer, adjusting the heat as necessary and adding water a couple of spoonfuls at a time as needed, until the eggplant is very tender but still holds its shape, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Jar up into long pasta sauce jars that have been sterilised*, seal and place in a box whilst hot.
* To sterilise jars, heat oven to 140C/120C fan. Wash the jars in hot, soapy water, then rinse well. Place the jars on a baking sheet and put them in the oven to dry completely.