7 Easy Eggplant Recipes Everyone Will Enjoy
Make versatile eggplant the star ingredient of your meals. Eggplants add substance and smokiness to every dish. Here are some fantastic and simple ways to incorporate them into your cooking.
- Use roasted eggplant slices on pizzas, hamburgers and sandwiches. Slice into 1cm-thick slices, rub with Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO) and roast in a moderate oven for 20–30 minutes.
- Roast eggplant slices as above and then top with tomato and cheese and fresh basil.
- Cut eggplant into 1cm-thick slices. Steam until soft, then dress with 1 tablespoon of organic soy sauce and 1 teaspoon sesame oil.
- To make eggplant goulash dip prick eggplant all over with a fork, then bake in a moderate oven until collapsed. Scoop out the flesh and mix with 1/4 cup lemon juice, 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup tahini, 1 crushed garlic clove and a sprinkle with Salt Flakes.
- Cut into 1-2cm cubes and fry in a little EVOO until soft and golden, then add to your favourite tomato-based pasta sauce.
- To make an eggplant schnitzel, cut the whole eggplant into 1 cm slices to look like a schnitzel… salt each slice and add some fresh chopped garlic. Leave for 1 hour, squeeze in fresh towel and crumb with flour…egg and breadcrumb mix and shallow fry.
- Try our "Eggplant and Tomato sauce" recipe below.
- 2 kg Eggplant
- 1 cup RG Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO); more as needed
- 2 large cloves Garlic, sliced paper-thin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh Mint
- Pinch Chilli powder
- 800 gm can crushed Aussie Tomatoes
- Trim the ends off the Eggplant, slice crosswise 1 inch thick, then cut into 1-inch pieces. Transfer to a colander set in a bowl, and toss with Salt.
- Weigh down with a heavy object and let sit for about 90 minutes.
- Line a large rimmed baking tray with old tea towels. Spread the eggplant on the towel, roll up & squeeze juice & dry thoroughly.
- Heat the EVOO and Garlic over low heat, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the garlic softens, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, and toss to coat with the EVOO. Cook and stir occasionally until the eggplant is a shade darker and has begun to soften about 15 minutes.
- Add the Oregano, Mint and Chilli and toss.
- Pour in the Tomatoes, raise the heat, and bring to a simmer. Cover partially and cook at a gentle simmer, adjusting the heat as necessary and adding water a couple of spoonfuls at a time as needed, until the eggplant is very tender but still holds its shape, 30 to 35 minutes.
- Jar up into long pasta sauce jars that have been sterilised*, seal and place in a box whilst hot.
* To sterilise jars, heat oven to 140C/120C fan. Wash the jars in hot, soapy water, then rinse well. Place the jars on a baking sheet and put them in the oven to dry completely.