Let’s teach our kids how to make this AMAZING SPONGE CAKE so they can keep handing down through the generations!
4 Large Eggs (70g per egg) - Separated
3/4 Cup Castor Sugar
1 Cup Cornflour
1 Tablespoon Custard Powder
1 Teaspoon Cream Tartar
1/2 Teaspoon Bi-carb Soda
PASSIONFRUIT ICING INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 cup sifted icing sugar
20 ml RG extra virgin olive oil
2 fresh passionfruit- If not in season the frozen is a good substitute)
- Separate the eggs yolks from the egg whites.
- Beat egg whites for at least 4 minutes until thick.
- Add castor sugar and beat for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the 4 egg yolks and beat for a further 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl add the dry ingredients - cornflour, custard powder, cream tartar, and bi-carb soda. Sift dry ingredients at least three times.
- Very slowly fold 1/4 of the sifted dry ingredients at a time until combined.
- Set oven to 160°C (fan-forced)
- Spray a large 12-inch cake tin with oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes, Check after 35 minutes - the cake should come away from the edge of the tin.
- Place a tea towel on a cake cooling rack
- Take the cake out of the oven and carefully place it upside down onto the tea towel.
- Slowly lift off the tin and place a second cake cooling rack over the top to flip onto the correct side.
- Once your cake is cool, it will be ready for the delicious passionfruit icing.
- Combine the icing sugar, passionfruit pulp and whip vigorously with a knife until combined, slowly add the olive oil and whip until creamy consistency.
- When sponge is cooled, cut through the middle, spread the bottom half with 600 ml whipped thickened cream, then replace the top.
- Spread the icing over the top cake and leave 15 minutes to set.