EVOO Hot Cross Buns!
There's nothing that makes Easter more perfect than a Hot Cross Bun! We've fashioned a slightly healthier version using our beautiful, rich olive oil.
- 1 tbsp dry yeast
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups just warm milk
- 1 tsp RG Olive Blossom Honey
- 4 1/4 cups Woodstock organic-spitfire-wheat-flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt flakes
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1 1/2 cups raisins or currants
- 1 orange, zested
- 100ml Rich Glen Frantoio Olive Oil
- 1 farm fresh egg
- 1/2 cup Woodstock organic-spitfire-wheat-flour.
- ¼ cup water
- 1 1/2 tbsp. rich glen apricot and persimmon jam
- 1 tsp Rich Glen White Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 tsp water
- Combine yeast, sugar, and warm milk in a medium bowl, cover and set aside in a warm room 10 minutes
- Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, ginger, raisins, and orange zest. Gently stir by hand or with electric dough hook to incorporate.
- With the mixer set on low, add the Olive oil, honey and egg.
- Once the ingredients have been combined, slowly pour in the yeast milk mixture. Increase the mixer speed to medium-low, working the mixture into a slightly sticky dough.
- Transfer the dough to another bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside in a warm spot to rise (doubling in size) for appx. 1 hour.
- Once risen, remove the dough from the bowl and onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead for 1-2 minutes and then evenly cut the dough into 12 equal portions. Roll into balls.
- Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper and lightly grease with olive oil.
- Place dough balls, slightly spaced, onto the tray. Lightly brush the rolls with nolive oil and cover with plastic wrap. Leave to rise again in warm place for another 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 170°
- To make the cross, whisk together the bread flour and water in a small bowl to create a thick paste. Place this paste in a piping bag and set aside.
- Once the rolls have risen slightly, remove plastic wrap and pipe an 'x' on each roll using the flour paste.
- Place buns in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and puffy. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- To make the glaze, place the jam, Vinegar, and water in a small bowl, and microwave for 20-30 seconds (or until runny). Brush the glaze over the buns while they are still warm and still warm and enjoy immediately.