On the first day of Christmas, Rich Glen gave to me... Verjuice
Baked Chicken, Chorizo, Potato & Verjuice
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 60 minutes
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- 12 chicken thighs with skin and bone still on
- 750 gm chorizo, cut into 15cm chunks
- 1 kg baby potatoes, halved
- 2 red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- Fresh oregano or thyme
- 1 orange, grated zest
- 300 ml Verjuice
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Put the EVOO, salt & pepper in the bottom of 2 shallow roasting trays, 1 Tbsp. in each.
- Divide the potatoes, chicken, chorizo, and onion between the 2 trays and toss them in the EVOO mixture.
- Sprinkle fresh herbs over, then grate the orange zest over the contents of the 2 trays.
- Add 150ML of Verjuice to each tray.
- Cook for 1 hour, but after 30 minutes, swap the top tray with the bottom tray in the oven and baste the contents with the orange-coloured juices.
Deglazing with Verjuice
Set aside your meat and/or any vegetables that you have roasted. Remove any excess fat from the pan, leaving approximately 1 teaspoon of juice. Over medium heat, add 1 cup of Verjuice and using a wooden spoon, scrape up the brown bits, incorporating them into the Verjuice. Reduce until “jus” is just beginning to coat the spoon. Resist thickening the “jus”, but add a knob of butter for richness and shine. Strain into a serving dish.